Rishi Sunak, MP for Yorkshire, took his oath in Parliament on the Bhagavad Gita.
Rishi Sunak has written history by becoming Britain’s first Prime Minister of Indian descent. Boris Johnson and Penny Mordaunt, his former bosses, were unable to get the backing of the 100 MPs required to run in the elections.
Here are some facts concerning Rishi Sunak’s relationship with India:
- Rishi Sunak, MP for Yorkshire, took his oath in Parliament on the Bhagavad Gita. He was the first British MP to do so.
- His parents are both of Indian heritage. Sunak’s parents, both pharmacists, immigrated to the United Kingdom from East Africa in the 1960s. Sunak’s father, Yashvir Sunak, worked as a medical practitioner for the National Health Service, while his mother, Usha Sunak, owned a pharmacist business.
- Rishi Sunak is married to Akshata Murthy, the daughter of Infosys CEO Narayana Murthy. Krishna and Anoushka are their two daughters.
- Rishi Sunak lighted Diwali diyas in Downing Street while serving as Chancellor of the Exchequer under Boris Johnson’s leadership.
- Rishi Sunak frequently speaks about his origin and how his family always reminded him of morals and culture.
- Education was an important component of parenting in the Sunak home, as it was in other Indian households. Rishi Sunak is a former investment banker and Stanford University, graduate.
- Rishi Sunak frequently travels to Bangalore with his wife and two children to meet his in-laws.
- During his campaign for Prime Minister in the summer of 2022, Rishi Sunak was chastised on a number of fronts, including his luxurious home, costly outfits, and shoes. Rishi stated that the Bhagavad Gita frequently saves him in stressful times and urges him to be obedient.
- Rishi Sunak has a net worth of over 700 million pounds and is heavily invested in UK real estate. Rishi and his wife Akshata possess a house in Kensington, central London, in addition to a mansion in Yorkshire.
- Rishi Sunak enjoys playing cricket to stay fit.